Welcome to Coleby Allotments
Coleby Allotments is a small newly establishing allotment site.
We have put together this website to help promote the new allotment site with information for local people about how to rent a plot and where the site is. You will also find advice on working your a new plot, along with helpful links and publications. Not forgetting the Photo Gallery !
We hope you find are website useful and are inspired to take the plunge and join the plot!
Why have an allotment?
Allotments are valuable green spaces and community assets that can help improve people's quality of life by promoting healthy food, exercise and community interaction.
You will benefit from:
- Eating fresh and organic food grown by yourself
- Regular exercies, as part of a healthy lifestyle
- Meeting new friends and learning new skills
- Improving mental health
- Doing your bit for the environment by protecting an open green space.
- Reducing the congestion and pollution associated with the transportation of food.
- The simple pleasure of seeing your plants grow
- The opportunity to save a fortune on your shopping bill
Download Plot layout & Guides
About Dig for Victory
Dig for Victory - the wartime gardening campaign
During World War II, the British public were encouraged to 'Dig for Victory' and produce as much of their own food as possible - because the German U-boat blockade made importing food into the country very perilous.
Back gardens, public parks and even the moat at the Tower of London were dug up to increase food production.
In the US, a similar 'Victory Garden' campaign was underway.
We're now being encouraged to dig for a very different sort of victory - growing some of your own food not only reduces your environmental footprint and saves you money it is also very good for you.